Spring is Springing
While we are watching the transition from winter to spring, at Hopper Termite & Pest we are just as busy as ever helping homes and businesses prepare for the upcoming season! You may think it’s fine to wait a few weeks to call Hopper – BUT getting a jump on Spring is a crucial key when it comes to pest prevention and control.
While many pests are hiding away, addressing the issue now BEFORE they emerge will get you ahead of the game. Here are some things to consider:
A Year Round Plan
The most budget-friendly advice we can give you is to secure a pest control plan that is in force all year long. Even if you don’t have a pest problem now, pest prevention is always cheaper and easier than pest reaction. We highly recommend signing up for a year-round maintenance plan, which is not only the key to keeping the critters away, but is the best bang for your buck!
Be a Food Fighter
Just like humans, all pests need food to survive. Areas such as gardens, garbage bins, and pet food can all attract pests. If you get rid of all potential sources, your risk of pest problems falls dramatically. Here are a few tips:
- Keep trash bins tightly covered with tight-fitting, spring-loaded lids. Empty them frequently.
- Store pet food in a sealed container indoors, preferably in a closet and/or up off of the floor. Pick pet food up at night.
- In your garden, consider building raised beds. Adding a fence can keep larger critters away as well.
The smallest amount of water – even from a leaking pipe, can provide enough water to attract springtime pests. High humidity aids egg production in many pests.
- Address plumbing issues ASAP.
- Remove standing water. Places to look include tires, pool covers, bird baths…
- Maintain a good temperature and humidity balance inside your home or business.
- Trim tall grasses and weeds.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clean and clear.
- Remove wet or decaying woods, such as rotted stumps or timbers.
- Make sure your home or business is well ventilated and dry, especially basements, attics, and crawl spaces.
As you know, most pests originate from outside your home, and eventually find ways inside. Once they are in, they usually multiply. Not only is it important to maintain a pest-free environment inside, but it is just as important to address the perimeter.
- Walk around the perimeter of your building, and pay close attention to areas where utilities enter (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.).
- Replace any aging or worn weatherstripping.
- Trim back trees and shrubs that are touching your structure, hanging over your roof, or near your roofline.
- Seal any gaps and cracks around the building. Use weatherproof caulk for any gaps and cracks smaller than ½ inch. For any gaps and holes larger than that, use expandable foam sealant.
- Repair any broken screens and windows.
- Keep pallets, wood and firewood stored off the ground.
- Never leave any exterior-facing doors open.
Keep it Clean
A good rule of thumb that applies all year long is to always clean up any spills – food, water, etc, as soon as they occur. Wipe down surfaces, keep the floors vacuumed, and clean the bathrooms. Pests are drawn to where there is an absence of cleanliness. Make it as hard as possible for them to find a place to park. In addition, consider these tips:
- Store food in sealed containers, up and off of the floor, in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink (at least rinse or soak them).
- Make sure there is a routine cleaning policy (sweeping, mopping, drain cleaning, waste removal, etc.).
- Conduct a deep cleaning and decluttering at least twice a year.
- Don’t neglect the hard-to-reach areas under porches, decks, and stairs.
Call Hopper Today!
Remember, the best way to maintain a pest-free environment for your home or business is by partnering with a certified pest management professional. Late March to early April is a key time to put the squash on pests before they emerge. From spiders, termites, roaches and ants – to ticks, fleas, rodents and other pests, Hopper is the team you want on your side. We have teams that live and work all over North Central to Northwest Arkansas! Give us a call and let’s get a jump on Spring cleaning today!