The thought of bed bugs in your own home is terrifying. The thought of sending your college student off to a bed bug ridden dorm, though, enters another realm of terror entirely. Even if you keep your own home spectacularly clean and bed bug free, that could be in jeopardy the first holiday of the year thanks to your college student. How do you make certain your child is not in an infested spot this fall? These tips can help.
- Take a close look at the mattress before you actually put the sheets on it. The corners are a good place to start, but you’ll want to look up and down the seams. If you see dark spots, or even the bugs themselves, you may want to talk to a residence hall manager about the problem. Encourage your child to do a routine inspection of the mattress as well.
- Don’t just stop the inspection process at the mattress, though. Make certain that you look over the whole room carefully, too. Take a peek behind the headboard where they love to hide and at any sofas or chairs in the room or in the common room. Bed bugs like to hang out anywhere people spend a lot of time, so all of these areas are fair game.
- If you or your child plans to buy used furniture for college, do some close looking before you buy. If anything looks suspicious, leave it out of the home or dorm.
Sooner or later, your child will return from college, and these tips will help make certain your home stays bed bug free too.
- Inspect the suitcase or bag before it ever enters your home. The two of you may want to sort through it in the garage. All of the laundry should go straight to the washing machine. Be sure to put it on the hottest possible setting, then dry it for at least thirty minutes.
- Take a close look at the lining of the suitcase, too. Vacuum it out just in case any bed bugs have decided to hitch a ride inside.
- If there are items that can’t be washed, you’ll want to put them in a sealed bag in your deep freezer for at least several days. It will kill any potential bed bugs, and their eggs, but you have to do it for several days or the eggs will remain viable.
- Don’t forget to check your child’s electronics, too, as bed bugs can hide in them. Remove keyboards and panels just to make certain you’re not getting bed bugs inside your home.
Even if you do end up with bed bugs thanks to a trip to college, professional bed bugs pest control companies can help you eliminate them. Make certain you call for an inspection as soon as possible.